Saturday, December 08, 2007
Simplicity.
(Pregnancy update- all bags are fully packed and waiting to go. Carseat cover has been washed and is waiting to be loaded into the car. All the little extra things needed to be done are pretty much done. I feel like maybe she's dropped- lots and lots of pressure; but no consistent contractions yet.)
------

Sometimes, well, to be honest, I'm pretty sure most of the time, I over-complicate things. I try to analyze or look harder at things than they need to be... I tend to add chaos to things.

It amazes me over and over again, even though it seems like children complicate our lives in a lot of little ways (the many sippy cups and diapers and other accoutrements it takes to just leave the house), they also have that way of bringing things down to the base, simplest facts.

Last week was the first week of Advent. At our church, we celebrate this by lighting the Advent candles and learning about what each week symbolizes.

Our pastor taught about the perspective of Israel before Jesus was born. The coming Messiah; coming to bring Hope at a time of despair for them. They needed a Deliverer...as we all do.

It kind of set the tone for the week for me. I kept thinking about hope vs. despair. Without going into lengthy detail, there have been a lot of reminders of despair surrounding me lately. In some cases, it seems like we have had hope snuffed out recently. Hope for a change, hope for better things...

Hope and despair are most definitely things I can relate to at the moment.

So, Em and I were driving home the other evening, around twilight. We're usually not out at this time of day, so when I heard her make a small noise in the backseat, I looked back to see a very worried little face.

I asked her what was wrong, and she said, "Oh no, mommy! It's dark!" (She, as a lot of little kids are, is afraid of the dark.)

I started to reassure her that everything was okay, and then to distract her from her worries, told her, "Let's look for Christmas lights!"

I have been trying to be conscious of any little moment I can to teach the kids about spiritual things and our faith; to make it real to them... as a part of everyday life.

So as I thought about that, I started to explain to Em about Christmas lights... in simple, 2 year old terms. And it was like- a total lightbulb moment for me.

I told her, "Let's look for Christmas lights. They will help you to not be scared. We have Christmas lights to remind us of Jesus. He came to the world to bring us Light in the darkness... to help us to not be scared in the Dark."

At the same time, I was listening to "Maybe This Christmas", a collection of "hip" Christmas tunes. This song came on... it seemed pretty appropriate.

What a year for a new year
We need it like we needed life I guess
Last one left us lying in a mess
What a year for a new year

What a night for a sunrise
And we thought the dark would never end
Reaching out to try to find a friend
What a night for a sunrise
Sunrise

What a day for new day
And our star shines like a miracle
And our world is almost beautiful again
What a day for a new day
New day

What a year for a new year

What a night for a sunrise
And we thought the dark would never end
Reaching out to try to find a friend
What a night for a sunrise
Sunrise

Soon we’ll be lying in our beds
And new dreams will fill our heads
And the old ones will be ended
Hope we’ll forget about this place
Let it go without a trace
Wipe the teardrops from our faces
Oh! What a year for a new year!


Listen here...

So all that said... I am so glad we have hope. The hope of a new year, a new day, a new life in Christ. I'm glad that I can hope in Him, because eventually, all those other things and people I put hope in, are going to fail me.

Hope we’ll forget about this place
Let it go without a trace
Wipe the teardrops from our faces
Oh! What a year for a new year!
4 Comments:
Blogger Morgan said...
Beautiful! Thank goodness for children to remind us of the simpler things, we all need that once in a while.

Hang in there, sounds like Sabriel is on her way out!! Hugs and hugs ;)

Blogger Adrienne said...
How Beautiful V!!!!!! I can't wait to meet Sabriel! :-)

Blogger Jennifer said...
Beautiful perspective. "Hope" has been the theme of our year for our family, because of various hurts and trials too, so I totally get what you're saying. Thanks for sharing that!

I'm praying we're both delivering these babies before Christmas too!

Blogger Andy said...
waiting to hear about that little girl being born. another friend of mine in washington state is waiting on her little boy to be born. who know's he may be here already.

love you advent cal. too. it's pretty.